Re: [gtk-list] GTK Printing/X6.3

On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Adam D. Moss wrote:

> Jay Painter writes:
>  > I mentioned printing with GTK a while back, and I was told that X6.3
>  > supported postscript printing.  I have been unable to find any docs on
>  > the X6.3 printing, could somebody clue me in?
>
> I've been looking for such docs too.  (This seems to be an
> ever-repeating problem with the XC / X/Open: it's VERY difficult or
> even impossible to find online documentation or examples for their
> newest extentions and goodies).

In general, a good place to look for documentation on X things
is in the xc/doc/hardcopy directory of the source distribution.
In this case, look at:

ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/3.3/untarred/xc/doc/hardcopy/XPRINT/

(or the equivalent location in the X11R6.3 tree)

I took a look at this a while ago, and my initial reaction was
that apps would probably be better off just writing code to
emit raw postscript. You have to jump through a lot of hoops
to use the print server, and what you want on paper isn't usually
exactly what you have on screen.

Regards,
                                      Owen