Re: Using gtk with a component architecture?

Philip Dawes <philipd@parallax.co.uk> writes:

> > I think this is the best way of doing things. X has good facilities
> > for allowing multiple processes to work in the same toplevel. I'm working
> > on GtkPlug/Socket widgets to do this type of stuff - the embedding
> > is trivially easy, but making the input focus work correctly is
> > a bit harder. It will require some changes to GDK.

> I was just wondering if you got any further with this research.
> Have you got any code I could look at to see your direction? (I don't
> care about the state of it). I've got my linux system back up and
> running after a hard drive crash and I'd like to look further into this.

Well, since you ask, I've put a initial rough draft at:

  http://www.msc.cornell.edu/~otaylor/gtk-gimp/plugsocket-0.l.tar.gz

Once 0.99.1 comes out, you should be able to just edit the Makefile
a bit and type make. It needs some things (event filters) which will
be new in 0.99.1

The main thing that needs work right now is the interaction of
focusing with "stolen" windows. GTK-GTK embedding works pretty well.
(Redirection of key events to the focused window, tab/arrow
key navigation, etc.)

Regards,
                                        Owen