Re: [gtk-list] Re: GraphicsExpose (was Re: About the About Box)

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997, Owen Taylor wrote:

> > > Tim Janik writes:
>
> > ok, after carefully reading up on this in the Xlib - C Language X Interface
> > manual, i'd say we implement the following:
> >
> > 1) change Gdk's current event handling:
> > >    case GraphicsExpose:
> > >      event->expose.type = GDK_EXPOSE;
> > 			    ^^^^^^^^^^
> > we need an own GDK_GRAPHICS_EXPOSE event type.
>
> Do we? That was my initial thought, but if we prevent accidental
> GraphicsExpose's (by changing the default) and handle the
> GraphicsExpose/NoExpose counting ourselves (either by providing a
> separate call to get these events, or using Raph's solution) then
> the application writer probably doesn't need to care about the
> difference.

now, after we changed the default case for GraphicsExpose events in
the GC initialization, we can only receive GraphicsExpose/NoExpose if
the app/widget write explicitely requests them. therefore we should
provide him with these events. providing a function that automatically
does the event translation (rectangle adjustment), then makes the actual
handling of these events just a matter of calling it and then treating
the event like a normal expose event.
but, applications that have their own way of handling GraphicsExpose/
NoExpose still need to have access to the original event type.
GemVt as an example will do it's own handling, this is neccessary
because of the rapid scrolling speed that is neccessary (though not
provided yet) for a terminal.

> Regards,
>                                         Owen

---