Re: [gtk-list] Re: Label layout

Okay, I've need to put in one more request for collective net wisdom
regarding the implementation of filled/line-breaking labels.

So, we're going to separate the line justification facilties from
the line breaking facilities.  What then do we do if the user
specifies GTK_JUSTIFY_FILL with no line-breaking?  Possible options
include:

 1. Fill (stretch) each line.   Probably not good, since it is likely
    some lines are quite short.   (cf. If we're doing the line-breaking,
    we fill all but the last line of each paragraph.)

 2. Don't fill any lines --- treat as for GTK_JUSTIFY_LEFT.

 3. Introduce some more secret code to indicate whether a line should
    be filled or not.   Some options for this would include, e.g.:

    a. Lines ending with '\r' get filled, those ending with '\n' don't.

    gtk_label_set (label, "This line gets filled.\rNot filled.\nThis one too gets filled.\r");

    Note the need to include the ugly trailing '\r' to get the last line
    to be filled.   Currently a trailing '\n' generates a trailing
    blank line --- so either this would have to change, or the
    semantics of '\r' and '\n' would differ.

    b. Lines without trailing spaces get filled, those with trailing
    spaces don't.

    gtk_label_set (label, "This line gets filled.\nNot filled. \nThis one too gets filled.");

    This, too, is kind of bogus.   But I like it better.

I'm leaning towards either option 2 or 3b.  Has anyone got better ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

PS. My patches, though not included in gtk+-0.99.0 (and rightfully so),
have nevertheless somehow made it into the ChangeLog and the release
announcement.  Someone (Owen?) should fix the ChangeLog.