Tracking object deletion

What's the proper way (if any) to get a function invoked when a GtkObject
(or descendant) is being destroyed?

In reworking my Perl module, it looks like that is the safest approach,
but it is unclear what approach to use. It looks like an after connection
to "destroy" will work, but I wonder what order after signals are called
in, and whether any of them (perhaps even ones installed via Perl) might
be interested in using the object that is in the process of being
destroyed.

Might it be better to have a "destroy" slot (analogous to before & after)
that is solely for this purpose?