newcomer question: compiling gtk - memmove...

Hello,

I'm not sure this question really belongs here, but I don't know where
this would be most appropriate. So apologies...

My gcc compiler doesn't recognize the function "memmove", which gets
called a few times in the gtk code (971201). Maybe this is a gcc problem?
Or do I need to include other libraries that the gtk configure script didn't
find correctly?
My knowledge of gcc code (or gtk) is very limited, and I don't know how
to figure out the complicated interdependencies of files... (Actually, I
just wanted to install gtk to run gimp, not even program in it...)

On my computer, a sparc20 running SunOS 4.1.4, memmove doesn't exist,
although the other things like memcpy and so on do. I'm confused, since
other unix computers that I can log on to have different manpages, some
including memmove with either string.h or memory.h, some not.

[...]
make[2]: Entering directory `/ourapp/gtk+-971201/glib'
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link gcc -g -O2  -o testglib  testglib.o
./libglib.la
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="./.libs:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" gcc -g -O2 -o .libs/testglib
testglib.o -L/usr/lo
cal/lib -lglib
collect2: ld returned 2 exit status
ld: Undefined symbol
   _memmove
make[2]: *** [testglib] Error 1
[...]

Any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong? Or workarounds?

Apologies if this doesn't belong here, but thanks for your help.

--- Marc
(hertlein@umich.edu)