Re: [gtk-list] Re: XIM patches

"Michael K. Johnson" <johnsonm@redhat.com> writes:

> I wrote:
> >Could you also please commit gdkkeysyms.h to the repository?
>
> Oops, let me change that...  :-)
>
> For some reason, it didn't seem to build gdkkeysyms.h the first time
> I ran make.  I then reconfigured with --disable-xim, and watched as
> it build gdkkeysyms.  I didn't look into it any further at this time.

Looks like a bug in automake. I saw this earlier, but worked
around instead of tracking it down.

The problem is that the generated Makefile has code like:

===
-include .deps/.P
.deps/.P: $(BUILT_SOURCES)
	echo > $@

-include $(DEP_FILES)
====

But actually, $(DEP_FILES) depends on $(BUILT_SOURCES), so
this only works if the first include-triggered dependency
is processed first. For GNU make, it isn't (necessarily).

Until automake is fixed (I'll file a bug report) a workaround is to
add the correct dependency manually to Makefile.am.

*** Makefile.am.ots	Sun Nov 30 23:10:58 1997
--- Makefile.am	Sun Nov 30 23:11:06 1997
  	  echo $$p; \
  	done

+ $(DEP_FILES) : $(BUILT_SOURCES)