Re: Status, an idea, and a question

> It would be nice if GDK was extended to support resolution-independent
> rendering, like Java2D:
>
>   (http://www.javasoft.com/products/java-media/2D/index.html)
>
> This API nicely encapsulates most of the features of Postscript (it was
> designed by Adobe).  This would allow a single procedural API for screen
> drawing and printing.  This might alos make GTK/GDK a better base for an
> AWT/Swing implementation as well.
>
> | Steven L. Blake   slblake@intercenter.net |

Yes, a 2D API will fill a major hole in gtk and  most other X GUI
toolkits, comparing to Qt.  Based on Java2D is a good idea since it is a
mature spec, saving the job of initial design.   Further, it will  be directly
usable for Java2D support, for free Java systems like Kaffe.   For people who
want to do an drawing program,  a 2D API is a necessary foundation.   This 2D
API can also greatly enhance most applications in the Gnome desktop. Printing
capabilities at least, and metafile support greatly enhance the exchange of
data between applications.

This 2D API, ideally, should support:

- full 2D transformation (rotation, translation, shearing)

- Curve objects like splines, paths (in addition to polygons, lines and the
like)

- simple image transformation  (warping at the minimum)

- outline font rendering, for postscript 1 and true type fonts.   (Code for
such things is already being worked on elsewhere) (antialiasing ideal)

- translation of fonts into paths/curve objects

- metafile support, saving "pictures" and playback with custom transform
applied.

- same commands output to screen and printer

Most of the above is available in Qt.  Also display ghostscript sounds like
a solution, but I think it may be too complex and thus slow in the near term.

--
Li-Cheng Tai (Andy Tai)                       e-mail: atai@ece.ucsd.edu

Free software:  the software by the people, of the people and for the people,
worldwide.  Develop! Use! Enhance! And enjoy!