gtk-- griefs

Hi,

I've found some rather unpleasant "features"  from GTK-- (and that really mean
--, ie. the C++
wrapper, not the original C-version)

- How am I supposed to connect the file selection dialog button signals to my
routines? It's rather
useless to have a file selection where you can't actully use your selection.
Again, this was rather
easy task in the original C-version where you could access the child widgets
from their parent. At
the moment I'm using a hack with gtkobject member variable (moved it from
protected to public
first), which is _NOT_ nice.

- The destroy signal doesn't seem to work or otherwise I'm really clueless.
Again, no problem in
GTK+. This is both using the workaround with gtkobject and the "official"
signal connection method.

Why am I using GTK--, which is an alpha version over an beta version of gui
toolkit (although
very useful as such :)?  I've some useful C++ code (a list-class for example),
which I'd like to
recycle in this project rather than rewriting everything from scratch. More
over the C++ should
have been the language GTK+ was originally written in. IMHO the currect object
oriented
C-style is, although working, still to be considered a hack.

Anyway, this is the gui library of my choice, definitely.

Jarno

--
Jarno Mikael Paananen - Panama, kelionnen raja - jpaana@iki.fi

--