No Subject

Hi, fellow GTK programmers!

Can anybody tell me a simple(!) way to do the following:

  I have list of text strings (normal GTKList, with GTKListItems
  created by _new_with_label()).

  I'd like to add tooltips in such a way that the text of the tip
  depends on the *list item* the mouse is currently over.

I love the simplicity of tooltips, and I'd really like to get this
done in a similarily simple way.

However, the actual code doing it can be quite complex... it should be
possible to pack it in one or two (ok, maybe three) simple functions
is all I ask.

GTKList has a window, right? GTKListItem, as a descendent of GTKItem
doesn't (would be really overkill anyway).

It would be pretty simple to just pop up a tooltip for the current
*selected* item. That's not what I want, though (and I'm not sure it
would work... I couldn't add a tooltip to a gtkentry widget. Anybody
know why?).

Generally: It would be nice to be able to add tooltips to just about
anything, without thinking.

It would also be nice to be able to reset tooltips (okay, I guess you
can just gtk_tooltips_set_tips() with a different text on the same
widget... but it doesn't discard the old text, AFAICT).

Any ideas?

Bye, J

PS: There'll be some Objective-C bindings on my homepage as you read
this. Check 'em out... but beware. It ain't quite finished (I code as
I go along, and I take testgtk.c/.m as 'inspiration'). And there are
still tons of memory holes (I think I know how to plug'em... I'm no
ObjC expert, though. Started ObjC about... a week or two ago ;-)

PPS: The GIMP wish list is updated. Tabular format. Hope you like
it... any comments, send 'em to me.

- --
Juergen A. Erhard (that ue is actually \"u (TeX) or ü (HTML/SGML))
eMail: jae@laden.ilk.de                             |
snailMail: Belfortstr. 6; 76133 Karlsruhe; GERMANY  |  pros do it for money,
phone: +49 721 27326                                |  amateurs out of love.
WWW: http://members.tripod.com/~Juergen_Erhard/     |