Re: [gtk-list] Re: Emitted signals

On 10 Aug 1997, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Ian Main <slow@intergate.bc.ca> writes:
>
> > I have just written up the following section for the tutorial, and am
> > wondering just how far from the truth I really am :)
> >
> > Anyone care to comment please ?
>
> > <sect1>Widget Signals
> > And here is a complete (?) list of all the signals gtk has, and which
> > signals are emitted by various widgets.  Any signals emitted by widgets
> > higher in the hierarchy are inhereted.
>
> Probably correct - I'm not really sure that this type of information
> is all that useful in a tutorial - it's probably best left to
> reference documentation. Some of these signals are really more
> "virtual functions" that only are of interest for widget
> implementation. It's probably more important to point out the
> _important_ signals for each type of widget and give some explanation.

Yep.  This is my goal really.  I was thinking of a list in each widget
section of all the important signals you can use with it, including ones
not in the example..

> We do seem to be heading toward adding some reference material to the
> the "tutorial" - some of which can be justified on the basis of giving
> an overview, some of which can be justified because it is important
> information that people need to know, and isn't present elsewhere.

Yeah.. oh well :)  So long as the info is there somewhere really.. I spose
the idea of confusing beginners is a definite possibility.

I was wondering why I couldn't see how the menuitem emits the "clicked"
signal.. is it inhereted somehow ?

[snip]

> But a comprehensive list is probably than no list, so maybe you should
> include it, until there's enough detail for each widget to let people
> know which signals they _should_ care about.

Hmm.. perhaps for now.. I think the best thing really would be a list of
all signals emitted by a given widget in that widgets section.

Regards,

Ian

--

No problem is insoluble in all conceivable circumstances.