Re: Performance with GNU Gettext?

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Sophia Chang wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> How does the performance using GNU Gettext?
>
> Is gettext nice and fast?
>
> Application startup time is something we're quite concerned about, and
> trying to be very careful with.  Translations with gettext is overhead
> on top of using a .glade file.  There may be many translations when an
> application starts up (all the menuitems, for example).
>
> What does that involve?

Hi Sophia,

No single profiling data has ever shown anything gettext or
locale related out of glib taking anything like significant time
(say 1%).  So, I won't bother with them.  The way gettext is
implemented is that it keeps the messages in a binary hash table
on the disk (the .mo file) and looks up messages in it, so as far
as I know, there's not much initialization overhead involved.

> Thanks.
>

> Sophia Chang
> sophia chang palmsource com

--behdad