Re: improvement of font selection

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Kenichi Handa wrote:

> In article <Pine LNX 4 58 0603130649510 5730 epoch cs>, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad cs toronto edu> writes:
>
> > I am curious what made you to write the patch originally.  What
> > problems does it solve for you.
>
> For instance, to display Tamil, I'd like to use akruti1b.ttf
> font which have a proper OTF tables for Tamil, but I also
> have FreeSerif.ttf which contains many glyphs including
> Tamil but not sufficient OTF tables.  And, it's not
> decidable which font (akruti1b or FreeSerif) is tried at
> first by Pango (without listing fonts carefully in
> fonts.conf).

Ok then, so your usecase is like my Arabic case that I described
in the bug.  I like to make this change.

> Another reason for the change request is that we are now
> developping a multilingual library m17n-lib
> (http://www.m17n.org/m17n-lib), and it contains CTL (complex
> text layout) rendering facility.  We can provide a pango
> module using this library (single module can render many
> scripts), but in that case also, the same problem happens.

I know that library for a few years now, but never really looked
into it in detail.  Any reason it has a separate CTL facility
than Pango in the first place?

--behdad
http://behdad.org/

	-- Dan Bern, "New American Language"