Re: [gtk-i18n-list] Bold fonts not bold on MAC?

mpsuzuki hiroshima-u ac jp wrote:
Hi,

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 23:40:13 +0200
Ulrich von Zadow <coder c-base org> wrote:
This happens at least with Arial and Times New Roman, I haven't yet tried other fonts.

Could you test against the fonts copied from Linux?
Against the fonts bundled to MacOS, there might be some
Mac-specific issues in font file vs FreeType.

Bingo! If I copy the fonts from Linux, everything is ok.

I'm using Pango 1.13.3, freetype 2.1.10 and fontconfig 2.3.1, all compiled from source.

Please send me some sample source (to test bolden Arial), I will
check it. Either I wish that you can provide compiled binary,
if possible.

Hm - extracting a small bit of working source is some work, but if you
download the mac installer at www.libavg.de/download.html and do a
doubleclick, you should have an installed PowerPC Mac binary of the
engine. After that, the attached two files can be copied into a
directory and the python script started to reproduce the effect. Have a
bit of patience, since the first invocation causes an fc-cache run.

Source code is also on the download page, but because the libavg engine
has lots of dependencies, building from scratch on the mac is some work.
The relevant code is under src/player/Words.cpp, mostly in drawString().

Regards,

   Uli

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<avg id="imageavg" width="640" height="480">
    <words id="normal" x="10" y="10" size="18" font="arial" text="Arial"/>
    <words id="bold" x="10" y="35" size="18" font="arial" weight="bold"
            text="Arial bold"/>
</avg>

#!/usr/bin/python

import avg