Re: [gtk-i18n-list] Unicode PUA supporting issue in gtk+/pango

Hi,

Sorry for 3 weeks later since your very helpful post.

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 16:06:36 +0330
Roozbeh Pournader <roozbeh farsiweb info> wrote:
>They have been proposed to Unicode and rejected. For the reason, the
>Chinese delegation to ISO JTC1/SC2 started a practice of voting No to
>some proposals of somehow obscure scripts.

Ah, I apologize I'm weak reader - could you give me
a few examples of proposals that PRC delegation had
voted No? "obscure scripts" sounds something like
http://www.evertype.com/standards/tai/tai-scripts.html
(to me).

>This is from personal memory of attending an ISO JTC1/SC2
>meeting in Tokyo in 2002, IIRC. (I even personally talked
>to the Chinese delegation and explained that things are
>working fine for the Arabic script (which uses shaping),
>and similarly it can work fine for Tibetan *as is*.)

Mention about Arabic script reminds me about glyph-based
charset and its encoding for Uyghur script: GB12050:1989.
Bu, I don't have any fonts encoded by the standard, and
I'm not sure how popular the standard is. Did they say
as the system of "pre-shaped" Arabic characters were used
for real publishing in PRC?

Regards,
mpsuzuki