Measuring text lengths with Pango

Hi everyone,

I need to write some code to arrange text paragraphs along with image
boxes in off-screen, "real", coordinates (cm, mm, in, etc).

But Pango seems to be aways bounded to device units (pixels), which is
not what I want.

An exaple: I want to know the length, in centimeters, of the sentence
"Hello, World!" on a 12pt Times New Roman font.

I've spent quite a few hours trying to find out how could I use Pango to
give me that info but I had no success yet (yes, I'm a newbie).

Can you guys give me some directions?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel d'Andrada T. de Carvalho - INdT