Re: Chinese Simplified appearance

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 12:20:55PM -0400, Edward H. Trager wrote:

> So, what are the good fonts?  I highly recommend Debian Taiwan's
> "Unifonts" project which has taken two CJK font styles graciously donated to
> the Open Source community by Arphic Technologies and recoded these into
> Unicode-based TrueType fonts:
>
>     1. AR PL ShanHeiSun Unicode
>     2. AR PL ZenKai Unicode

A few minor clarifications:

Arphic donated four TTF font files:
    AR PL Mingti2L Big5 (Traditional Chinese, serif)
    AR PL SungtiL GB    (Simplified Chinese, serif)
    AR PL KaitiM Big5   (Traditional Chinese, cursive)
    AR PL KaitiM GB     (Simplified Chinese, cursive)
All four fonts are already Unicode-based.  "AR PL ShanHeiSun Unicode"
is the combination of "AR PL Mingti2L Big5" and "AR PL SungtiL GB" with
lots of additions.  "AR PL ZenKai Unicode" is the combination of
"AR PL KaitiM Big5" and "AR PL KaitiM GB" with lots of additions.
If those additions are not used, the original Arphic fonts is good
enough since fontconfig can do the "combination" on the fly.

>  Arne Götje (高盛華) has also add numerous additions
> like extended bopomofo for Minnan and Hakka (台、客語) and they are working
> on the Hong Kong Supplemental Character Set (HKSCS -- 香港).

"Minnan" is 閩南 or 闽南 in Chinese.

Regards,

Yao Zhang