Re: Pango related problem.

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 21:15 +0100, luca wrote:
> Hello
> I forward here a message I originally sent over the gtk-app-devel list.
> In few words, the problem is that if i link my application with
> vtkfreetype.so library before the freetype.so one, i will get an error
> (as soon any gtk label appears for example), but if i link firstly to
> freetype.so (i.e. -lfreetype before -lvtkfreetype) it will run properly.
> My question is if in the first case Pango will use vtkfreetype  library
> and why :)

I think there really is no answer here other than to either stop using
VTK or use a version of VTK without "vtkfreetype" whatever that is.

If VTK comes with a library that has symbol conflicts with the system
freetype, then there is *no way* to make that work reliably. Symbol
resolution on typical Unix platforms is by name only. If Pango asks
for FT_Load_Glyph, it will get a copy of FT_Load_Glyph from the first
library found with that symbol.