Re: [Inkscape-devel] Re: [cairo] Pango + cairo

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005, Damon Chaplin wrote:

I'd certainly vote for using the bounding box :)
It would be much simpler to provide other ways of letting the user tweak
the layout, like letting them adjust the text's area slightly.

It seems to me that the moment you say "let the user tweak" you throw out much of the point of doing layout automatically - as Bulia would point out at this point, if you have to do that, then why not just kern everything manually? Remember that much of the point here is to make things like dialog boxes and web pages look good and we don't have enough designers around to hand tweak all of those.

Better to do what the designer wants properly, or not at all.

So, first, lets find out what the designers want ;)

njh