Re: Generating a keypress event

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 10:34:02 -0500, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:
> Anuradha Ratnaweera wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to generate a keypress event for the backspace key from
> > within a GTK IM.  What's the "standard' way of doing this?
> >
> > And I can't use gtk_im_delete_surrounding(), as not all the widgets
> > implement it.  This is for a replacement.
>
> This isn't really the answer you want, but there is no standard
> way to do so.
>
> All the widgets included with GTK+ support gtk_im_delete_surrounding().
> Applications that don't support it should be fixed.

Hi Owen,

Thanks for the reply.  Right now, our input method does use
gtk_im_delete_surrounding() and gtk_im_get_surrounding().
Unfortunately, widgets in some key applications (e.g.: Evolution 2
composer, Firefox with Pango patches) don't implement it.

Yes, implementing them is the _right_ thing to do.  However, if we can
emulate backspace, an elegant workaround is on the way.  We already
tested an IM for QT 3.x along the same lines.

Also, we were expecting backspace to erase only the last unicode
character, but it erases a complete group of them!  I have tracked the
matter to GtkEditable and GtkOldEditable, but still couldn't figure
out a "fix" yet... :-(

        Anuradha

--

http://www.linux.lk/~anuradha/