Re: character by name on the gnome canvas, custom fontencoding

Around 16 o'clock on May 18, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> The right solution IMHO is that pango gets all glyph names in the font
> and constructs a proper cmap itself as explained in another mail.

For unicode glyphs, fontconfig provides a name-based unicode->glyph looking
mechanism for Type1 fonts, so applications using FcFreeTypeCharIndex (or
XftCharIndex) will automatically get this translation.

Right now, fontconfig only knows the zapfdingbats glyph names. If there are
other standard glyphname->unicode mappings, it would be nice to add those
to fontconfig.

Alternatively, I could provide an API that did name->glyph translations by
inverting the existing FT_Get_Glyph_Name API if that would be of interest.

-keith