Re: Optimizing Pango OpenType engine

On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 22:44 +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > If you are going to be doing extensive work, you might want to think
> > about doing it in the context of an independent module in freetype
> > CVS rather than in Pango.
> >
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/freetype-devel/2004-08/msg00036.html
>
> Yes, the lowest level can be a FreeType module.

I'm not sure if it was clear ... I meant a CVS module not a FreeType
extension.... it would be a separate library, more so than today
because it wouldn't use the FreeType stream API.

> > >   - Maybe: Map some structures directly on the mapped font file
> > > instead of reading them.
> >
> > This would be pretty much a rewrite... it certainly is a more memory
> > efficient way of doing things. I don't have a good sense about the
> > relative performance benefits.
>
> I think it would be the optimal solution, since the OpenType
> specification has been taylored to match the needs of such an
> implementation -- remember the problems with the MarkAttachClassDef
> table which has been added without increasing the version number.

I don't follow this ... it seems that anything you could handle
by parsing the table at runtime could be handled by parsing it
beforehand.