Re: more control over pango's build process

* Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> [2004-03-25 18:50:52 -0500]:

> On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 06:26, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > for my automatic distro builder I'd like to have more control over
> > pango's build process. Most problematic is the point, thatconfigure
> > tries to detect what backends should be compiled-in and there seems
> > to be no way to force the use of some backends and let configure
> > die if the dependencies are not fulfilled.
> >
> > How can I solve this ?
> >

> You could modify configure.in to support --enable-foo=yes/no/auto, most
> of dbus's configure.in works this way.

How to do this ?
What tools are required for generating ./configure ?

BTW: why is the configure script such a bloat which almost nobody is
really seeing through ? day by day i've got big trouble with the autoconf
stuff - reading+understanding the configure's code is really painful.

couln't the job be solved by some small shellscripts and funtions ?

i.e. there could be a subdir containing the helper scripts/includes.
for detecting the presence of a package "foo" we could call a function
detect_package() with param "foo" which spits out either an error
or the required data - just like pkg-config. for the detection routines
we've several backends, one would just ask pkg-config or a similar tool,
others would do some checks like trying to compile testprograms etc.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact metux de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481
   -- DSL-Zugang ab 0 Euro. -- statische IP -- UUCP -- Hosting --