Question on rendering X bitmap fonts with Pango

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction
on this.  I have read all of the documentation about
Pango I can find but am still not getting anywhere.

I have have 2 old X bitmap fonts that I am having
trouble rendering with pango. One is a .bdf 8 bit and
the other is a .pcf 16 bit. They are both symbol fonts
(not language fonts).

>From an X11 application I normally would `xset +fp
<path>` then use XDrawString or XDrawString16.

Using the deprecated gdk APIs I have been successful
rendering the font by calling
gdk_font_load_for_display followed by gdk_draw_string.

So far I have been unable to render the font using
Pango.  I use pango_font_description_set_family,
pango_layout_set_font_description,
pango_layout_set_text.

I have tried modifying /etc/fonts/fonts.conf,
/etc/fonts/local.conf, placing the fonts in
${HOME}/.fonts, creating a ${HOME}/.pangox.aliases
file, modifying the system /etc/pango/pangox.aliases,
I have even copied the fonts into /usr/share/fonts.
Nothing seems to work.

I know the fonts are being seen by the system, because
they show up as a selection when I edit the profile on
the gnome-terminal window; however, when I select them
I get somethng that looks just like the default
monospace font.

I am using gnome 2.6.  The pangox.pc file indicates
version 1.4.0.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bob Gibbs