Problem with gtk 1.4: menu texts diappear

Hello,

hopefully you can help me: The gtk programs on our application server
don't display parts of the menu texts when switching locale do de_DE.
There are no error messages, only the texts are missing. The locales are
correctly generated with locale-gen, but apart from that I don't know
how to debug this problem. Please give me some pointers on how to solve
that and what Information is needed. I am using a debian woody system
with gkt 1.4, some of the programs that fail are gq or gnome-gv.

Thanks in advance,

Karsten