RE: Pango-1.7.0 released [unstable]

What about true type fonts

-----Original Message-----
From: gtk-i18n-list-bounces gnome org
[mailto:gtk-i18n-list-bounces gnome org]On Behalf Of Christopher Fynn
Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2004 9:57 AM
To: gtk-i18n-list gnome org
Cc: Edward H. Trager
Subject: Re: Pango-1.7.0 released [unstable]

Edward H. Trager wrote:

> Hi, Owen,

> The inclusion of Lao and Syriac is great!

> What about Khmer? I thought the KhmerOS people had said
> that the Khmer rendering module would be merged into
> Pango 1.6, but I did not see it there.

> Also what about Burmese? Is anyone working on Burmese via
> OpenType, or does Burmese really require SIL's Graphite, and if
> so is anybody seriously working on SIL integration into Pango?

> Just curious. -Ed Trager

One problem is that it seems Microsoft have neither implemented any
support for Myanmar/Burmese in Uniscribe nor published a script specific
spec for Myanmar/Burmese as they have for many other scripts:
<http://www.microsoft.com/typography/SpecificationsOverview.mspx>.

While, in absence of such an implementation or spec, one can go ahead
and define a set of features appropriate for Myanmar/Burmese based on
the features used for similar scripts and build fonts & support in Pango
based on this set - there is no guarantee that this set of features will
correspond to the set of features Microsoft eventually specify for
Myanmar/Burmese. My fear is that this could lead to all sorts of
incompatibilities between fonts and OpenType shaping engines
somewhere down the line.

In this respect AAT/ATSUI or SIL Graphite may be a better choice for
building fonts and rendering support for scripts like Myanmar/Burmese
right now since with these formats shaping rules can be built into the
font itself and you don't have to rely on a specified set of script
specific routines in the shaping engine.

- Chris