Unexpected font rendering with pango

Hi all,

Recently I have found an unusual behaviour in Chinese font rendering
with Pango.Please have a look at the attached, little screenshots. The
only difference between both is the setting of the locale before starting
the application. The first one uses LC_ALL=en_US and the second one
LC_ALL=zh_CN.GB2312. The font rendering is - despite the missing
antialiasing - fine on the second pix, but not o.k. in the first
case. It somehow uses a different size of fonts in just one string ...

Anyone out there who has an idea or a hint how to track this and/or to
fix this ?

The application used in this case is called "lingoteach" and available
on freshmeat. However, I have noticed that stardict behaves in the
same strange way ...

Kind regards,
    Stephan.

PNG image