Re: PangoPDF 1.2.3.0 released

Owen Taylor wrote at 23 Jun 2003 06:19:36 -0400:
 > On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 11:25, Tony Graham wrote:
 > > Download PangoPDF from http://sourceforge.net/projects/pangopdf/.
 >
 > I'm being incredibly lazy here, and really should go look at the
 > code, but why does PangoPDF have FT2/X/Xft backends? (Or, perhaps
 > the real question is, what do you mean by "backend" here?)

PangoPDF includes all of the backends so PangoPDF can be used as a
drop-in replacement for Pango.

To use PangoPDF instead of Pango in an application, just edit the
application's configure.in (or configure.ac) to prefix Pango's
pkg-config package names with 'pangopdf-', then rerun autoconf and
configure.

That's all I did to get libgnomeprint-2.2.1.2 to use PangoPDF.

The FT2/X/Xft backends in PangoPDF are really just vanilla Pango.  I
expect that PangoPDF will add support for the 'XSL' attributes (which
are also CSS3 attributes) to the FT2 and Xft backends (as one person
has done for FT2 in his version of PangoPDF), but I expect to first
implement the 'XSL' attributes as (conditionally) part of the
PangAttrType enumeration instead of registering them with
pango_attr_type_register() because it's so much easier to work with
attribute types as constants rather than variables.

Regards,

Tony Graham
XML Technology Center - Dublin
Sun Microsystems Ireland Ltd                       Phone: +353 1 8199708
Hamilton House, East Point Business Park, Dublin 3            x(70)19708