Re: Possible Pango 1.4 ideas

On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 23:51, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Joaquín Cuenca Abela <cuenca pacaterie u-psud fr> writes:
>
> > [*] ie., I've not measured it, just seen GtkTextView in action... but I
> > don't how representative is GtkTextView
>
> Quick timing is that GtkTextView is about 14 times as fast as
> AbiWord 0.99.4 at laying out text. (Yeah, it's an old copy
> of AbiWord, but what I had available to try on the machine
> where I was doing the timing.)

You're right.  My apologies.  The text files that I was opening with
GtkTextView were much bigger than I first thought (they didn't seem to
be *so* big until I opened them with abiword and I saw the number of
pages), and I got the impression that GtkTextView was lagging.

> You might claim that AbiWord has to do more,

Nope, I'm really not so dishonest.  I can realize when I'm wrong :)
(and I would not take, neither, your previous "I was using a old
AbiWord", as I'm getting yet worse estimations with current cvs).

The note saying that I haven't measured it was there for a good reason
:)

Cheers,

--
Joaquín Cuenca Abela