Re: pango and gtkmathview

I'm not really sure how math would fit into the Pango framework.

The layout capabilities of Pango are clearly not applicable ...
layout of math is entirely different.

So, what's left:

 - Fonts. You could possibly use Pango's font listing mechanisms.

   But you'd have to drop down to accessing the FreeType fonts
   directly to get things like italic corrections. So, you
   wouldn't be independent of backend.,

 - Rendering. PangoGlyphString holds a set of positioned glyphs.
   But it doesn't have capabilities like stretching glyphs.

I'd suspect you'll be better off going directly to Xft and
fontconfig.