Re: character-spacing & cursively-connected characters

Kaixo!

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 01:33:46AM +0000, Andrew Dunbar wrote:

> Also, some languages including Thai discourage spaces
> between words, and other languages including Khmar
> completely forbid spaces between words.
> I'm not sure if there is a method of justification
> used in print in these languages.

Chinese and Japanese don't use spaces either, however I never saw
justification in other things like in lists of relatively short items
(like menus in a restaurant, price lists, a list of people names, etc).
in such cases the longes item is writeen normally, and others are
expandeed by adding extra space between each character so they all
have the same distance between them, and first and last are aligned
with first and last of the longest item; eg (one letter symbolizing
a cjk char):

A B C D E F
A  B   C  D
A B C D E F
A    B    C
A         B
A B C D E F

You can see that on any chinese or japanese movie, when the list of
actors scrolls on the screen.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.walon.org/pablo/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Italian or Portuguese]