Re: Say goodbye to core X fonts

Kaixo!

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 08:59:02PM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Georgian, I don't know about available  fonts, but IMO, _creating_ a
> Georgian font from scratch would be less work than trying to maintain
> the old core X code.

Georgian users are trying to convince one of the major georgian founder
to liberate some fonts.

> If there are problems that are occurring with common
> freely-distributable Hebrew fonts and Yiddish, we need to either
> to fix the fonts or fix the engine.

There are some Type1 fonts that are wrongly encoded (they claim to be
iso8859-1 glyphs); that is due to the fact that old XFree86 versions
only recognized iso8859-1 encoding for Type1 fontes; but Xft obviously
needs properly encoded font, and new XFree86 corrected the Type1
problem, making those fonts broken even when used in old X11 font
context.
However, the font author didn't recognize or understand the problem;
telling something like "it worked previously, so why should I change them?".

Developpement of fonts for complex scripts will probably increase now that
those scripts can be used; previously developping a good free font to
use it in a free operating system was quite a moot point; as those scripts
wasn't properly supported anyway. Now that the technical ability to use
the mis there, it creates enough incentive.

I want to thank all the people that made pango and Xft a reality,
and something that, while still having areas to improve, is already
at the top and superior to what is provided in some other operating
systems.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.walon.org/pablo/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Italian or Portuguese]