Re: Say goodbye to core X fonts

I have a question about not having any X back end anymore.

This is a bug issue for us, because we have to support Gtk 2 based applications
on old systems (e.g. Solaris 2.6, IRIX, AiX, Tru64, HP-UX) where it may not be
practical to install a prebuilt Xft2 library.

Another issue with Xft2 is that it makes is even harder to make stand alone
binary distributions (ready to be used, and installed at any location) of
Gtk 2 applications (again, not everyone is running the latest version of linux).

Even under linux, most deployed linux systems today have a broken Xft
library.

I am not saying removing the core X back end is a bad thing per se, I
understand all the nice advantages of using Xft.

So my question for the time being I guess is: "how long will new versions
of Gtk+ stay compatible with pango 1.2, so that a fallback at least exists
for those who can't switch to pango 1.4 ?"

Arno