Subject: [li18nux:1095] Linux Future Survey
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 17:38:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: hiura li18nux org (Hideki Hiura)
To: li18nux li18nux org

All,

We have just created a page for Linux Future Survey at

   http://www.freestandards.org/linuxfuture/

LSB 1.2 is Complete.
Li18nux 1.0(aka Li18nux2000) is Complete.

Simple Question: What is it missing?

While the LSB is moving forward with planned updates that will
 include more interfaces (such as C++) and features (such as
 standardized package management) we would like to hear from you, the
 developers and user's of Linux based applications. We want to know
 what interfaces and features future versions of the LSB and Li18nux
 shouldinclude. For that matter, we would like to know what interfaces
 and features Linux itself is missing.

Our goal is to increase compatibility among runtime environments.
 With this, ISVs will find it cost effective to develop their
 applications for Linux with less concern for having to support the
 variations in APIs that they face today. Greater adoption of Linux
 by ISVs will mean more applications and functionality for the
 platform.

This is a brainstorming phase. All thoughts are welcome. Think about
what you would like done in an ideal world with unlimited resources.

Furthermore, as you may know, we have modularized our standards
 (i.e.: LSB, Li18nux, OpenPrinting, etc.) so don't worry about the
 LSB becoming too large to be functional. We can always put features
 outside of the "LSB core" and into a modular and potentially
 optional "add-ons"

Please take time to fill in as much information as you can on survey.

Thanks!
--
hiura {freestandards org,li18nux.org,unicode.org,sun.com}
Chair, Li18nux/Linux Internationalization Initiative,

Edward Cherlin
Maintainer, Unicode HOWTO