Non-Gtk pango usage.

Greetings,

I have been tasked with writing a gui-less application
that renders text in multiple languages onto an image.
Of course, the language requirements contain the hard
ones: Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and Arabic.

Unfortunately, I am a greenhorn when it comes to il8n.
Based on some of the things I have read, it appears to
me that while pango is deeply intertwined with gtk, it
does not require it.  Has there been much pango
development outside of gtk?  If so, I would appreciate
if someone could point me to some useful
examples/source code.  Also, if I am barking up the
wrong tree, I would welcome being steered in the right
direction.

I apologize for the newbie crap, but I couldn't find
anything to help me in the archive.

Thanks in advance.
Ryan