Re: Unicode versioning in glib

"butterbrain" <bbrain phateds nu> writes:

> Excerpted from http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr15/ :
>
> It is crucial that normalization forms remain stable over time. That
> is, if a string (that does not have any unassigned characters) is
> normalized under one version of Unicode, it must remain normalized
> under all future versions of Unicode. This is the backwards
> compatibility requirement. To meet this requirement, a fixed version
> for the composition process is specified, called the composition
> version. The composition version is defined to be Version 3.1.0 of
> the Unicode Character Database.

I'm not sure what your point is, but if you mean that this is enough
for a protocol that compares normalized strings (such as passwords)
for equality the point is not valid.  The protocols I'm implementing
currently requires that all protocol implementations must use NFKC
from Unicode 3.2.

However, I copied gen-unicode-tables.pl and generated my own tables
and stole some decomposition functions from guni*.c and gutf8.c
(excellent code, thanks!) and it seems to work fine with Unicode 3.2
(GLIB uses 3.1 tables).  If GLIB at some point in time get's an API to
access tables from specific Unicode versions I'll stop duplicating the
code.