pango: spacing bug

The todo list has:

Implement the spacing parameter
        The spacing parameter needs to be implemented as illustrated
        in the API docs. this should be a quick (10 minute) addition.

If this is a 10 minute fix, how would it be done?

Currently I'm having a problem with it in that pango_layout_index_to_pos
takes spacing into account, but pango_ft2_render_layout does not. This is
causing problems trying to get display elements to line up (they only line up
if spacing is set to zero, which introduces some other problems that can be
worked around but are bothersome).

I've tried to work out which pieces of the code use spacing and which don't,
but the code is non-obvious in many places. (Thus it would be at least a week
fix for me to work out, not a ten minute one).

Pointers in the right direction, or a patch, much appreciated.