Re: Font lookup ranges [was Re: Notes on Pango Xft backend]

* Andrew Dunbar <hippietrail yahoo com> [2002-05-30 04:52]:
>  --- Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote: >
> > On the other hand, all we really care about is Simplified
> > Chinese/Traditional Chinese/Japanese/Korean so it may well be good
> > enough.
>
> For now yes.  Romanian uses a "comma below" some letters which Unicode
> has mapped onto a cedilla.  This has also been left as a font issue.
> It's not as famous as the Chinese vs. Japanese case yet.

In recent versions of Unicode, the Romanian characters have been
disunified, so now there are different characters for S and T with
cedilla (U+015E, U+015E, U+0162, U+0163), and different with comma
below (U+0218, U+0219, U+021A, U+021B).

Two other well-known issues are italic Cyrillic letters, which have
quite different Serbian and Russian forms, and (not as important,
perhaps) acute accents in Hungarian, which are steeper than in most
other Latin-based scripts.

--
Alexandros Diamantidis * adia hellug gr