Re: Font lookup ranges [was Re: Notes on Pango Xft backend]

Keith Packard wrote:

As for fonts without an OS/2 table, perhaps we could generate a heuristic that could guess the tag. I'm guessing that we could probe the fonts Unicode coverage and guess which languages it was designed to support, either within the Han range or outside -- find Kana and guess Japenese,
Probably not reliable. The Taiwanese like supporting Japanese, and I think I have seen traditional Chinese fonts that include Kana.

find Hangul and guess Korean.

That one probably is reliable, as far as this non-Koren reader understands.

Differentiating between traditional and simplified chinese might be possible if we could get some help from someone more familiar with the differences. Back that up with config file
Earlier versions of Unicode had a lot of messy stuff and actual bugs related to simplified versus traditional. As far as I know this has been pretty well cleaned up in 3.2. Chinese which looks different, in other than purely font style ways, pretty much always has its own code point in 3.2. I'm sure there are still exceptions/errors, but its pretty clean. Of course, you still have the problem that traditional and simplified fonts don't generally merge well, unless they are from the same vendor. You still need to figure out the predominant dialect when choosing a font, and anything inserted from a font of the other dialect is not guaranteed to blend nicely. Information that explicitly says this traditional font and that simplified font are actually from the same vendor's superset font and blend perfectly could help here.

As far as spotting if a font is traditional or simplified is concerned, that should be easy. Although many fonts only cover a rather limited and variable subset of Chinese, the majority of the characters that got simplified are common ones, so they are always present. Spotting one simplified only character does not a simplified font make. Spotting a substantial number would. Of course, the font may have broad simplified+traditional coverage, so a similar probe of a list of traditional only characters should give an effective conclusion as to whether the font is simplified, traditional or combined.

The growing popularity of traditional Chinese in the PRC (yes, its making a comeback), and a more relaxed political environment, probably means more combined fonts will appear, and could become the norm.

Regards,
Steve