Re: GTK+-2.0.1 released

Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:

> Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> writes:
> > Neither -- it's intentional... the idea is, that if we don't change or
> > add any interfaces, modules should be installed in the same place, so
> > that packages that install GTK+ modules don't need to be rebuilt.
> >
> > If you are installing GTK+ modules, you should use:
> >
> >  pkg-config --variable=gtk_binary_version gtk+-2.0
> >
> > To find out where to install them. Similarly, there is:
> >
> >  pkg-config --variable=pango_module_version pango
> >
> > To find out where Pango modules go.
> >

> Well, with the important caveat that you should NOT install outside of
> your $prefix - if your app is in a separate prefix from GTK, users
> will need to set a module search path env variable, which we hopefully
> provide (?).

See the docs for GTK_PATH in:

  http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtk-running.html

If you install a GTK+ module, you should install it in:

 $(libdir)/gtk-2.0/$(gtk_binary_version)/modules

And then the user should add:

 $(libdir)/gtk-2.0

to their GTK_PATH envvar if the installation prefix is different
from the GTK+ installation prefix.