li18nux

There probably isn't a completely diplomatic way to ask this, but I
guess the blunt way is "How useful is the li18nux spec?"  I know that
li18nux has been useful (for example, the Linux Standard Base cites it
for msgfmt as msgfmt isn't in the Single Unix Spec or other
standards).  I guess my question is more along the lines of how
important it is that li18nux continue to be extended and maintained.

For those who don't know, li18nux is at http://www.li18nux.org/ (click
on the "LI18NUX2000" link to see or download the spec) and it imposes
various i18n related requirements on an operating system or an
application:

* Various libraries that should be on a conforming system (from ISO C
  functions like wcsncpy to X functions like XOpenOM or
  XmbDrawImageString).

* Requirements for input methods and output methods (e.g. able to
  input all Unicode 3.0 characters; able to output a certain set).

* Requirements on things like web browsers and email clients.

* probably some other stuff I forgot to list.

--
Jim Kingdon
Developer Relations, Free Standards Group