Documentation on creating a Pango module

Hi,

I'd like to take a chance at creating a Syriac module/shaper for pango.
I looked through the Arabic and Hebrew module source code and found it
to be somewhat daunting. My programming experience is limited to shell,
perl, and now C.

I can make the necessary time commitments to the project and at the same
time improve my programming skills. I would like to know whether any
(extensive) documentation is available regarding modules?

I am a native speaker of Syriac and therefore can help with the
logistics of the language.

Thanks,
Emil Soleyman-Zomalan