Re: layout width vs. extent

<dleach qnx com> writes:

> When the layout width is set with pango_layout_set_width,
> should it effect the output of routines such as
> pango_layout_get_extents, or is it a informational
> only item, accessed when the programmer is
> rendering the layout via pango_layout_get_width?

The getter is there only because we have a general rule
that setters have getters. (No write-only properties
when we can avoid them.)

The extents of the layout can differ from the width
in multiple ways:

 - The extents can (and usually are) less than the
   width if there are no lines that long.
 - If there is no break within the set width, the
   layout extents may be wider than the set width.