Re: Automatic paragraph direction in gtktextlayout

On Sun, 2001-09-30 at 00:32, dov imagic weizmann ac il wrote:
> I've been thinking about changing the textlayout widget to add the
> option of "automatic" paragraph directionality. The change is more in
> the spirit of unicode than is the current implementation. Now the
> paragraph direction is determined either by the global textlayout
> direction, or overridden through a style. The idea is that the first
> strong character (according to the Unicode classification) of each
> paragraph should determine the paragraphs direction as either LTR or
> RTL. In case there is no strong character in the paragraph, then
> either using the last paragraph's directionality or the global
> textviewing direction should be ok.

This seems logical. Just so I'm sure what will happen - If I started
writing in RTL, then all paragraphs will be RTL until I tell them
differently?
If so, then great.
Responding to the carachter sounds logical, but I'll have to see it in
action before I can decide if I like it or not (grin).
BTW, will switching the language be connected to switching the
direction? Can it be connected? (Automagically switching to hebrew, and
to RTL paragraph) Applying such a patch would connect them, will they be
connected without this patch?
All in all, sounds like a good idea.

Uri David