gtk i18n message files

Hello World!

I have installed XFree86 4.0.3 with glibc 2.2.2. I am
using hi_IN.UTF-8 locale which I created instead of
using existing en_US.UTF-8 locale in X. This
hi_IN.UTF-8 locale in X works fine with underlying
hi_IN locale in C library. Now I can see Hindi text
when I set
   export LANG=hi_IN.UTF-8

Now comes to my problem. I have created message files
(.po files) for varius gtk applications where message
strings are stored using UTF-8 encoding. From this .po
files I generated a number of .mo files and put it in
the LC_MESSAGES directory of current locale path. Now
when gettext interface reads these messages, it again
converts each byte of UTF-8 Hindi text into multibyte
sequence. English text appearing in the message
remains as it is since it occupies only one byte. For
example, E0 A4 95 is correct UTF-8 sequence for
Unicode character U+0915. I am storing this byte
sequence in a .po file and then generate .mo file
using msgfmt utility. Hex dump of .mo file shows this
sequence stored in the file. Now when I use gettext
method, I get UTF-8 sequence for each of the bytes E0,
A4, and 95,
 i.e., C3 A0  C2 A4  A2 95
         E0     A4     95

As a result Hindi text is not displayed at all. Can
someone tell me what may be the problem? Is this the
problem with glibc?

Thanks.

- Keyur.

PS : Please note that I am using proper fonts in
fontset and I can see 'day of the week' and 'month
names' in Hindi in various gtk applications.