Re: How can I let pango/gtk support a new encoding like GBK/GB18030 and BIG5-HKSCS?

On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, James Su wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there any documentation of how to support a new encoding in
> pango/gtk? I really want to use GBK/GB18030 and BIG5-HKSCS within pango/gtk.
>
> Does anybody can give me some suggestion?
>
> btw, GB18030 is a variable length encoding, which can be 1, 2 or 4 bytes
> for one code point.

Pango and Gtk+ 2 always uses unicode/UTF-8 internally. To convert to/from
the current locale it uses the libc iconv() function. If you add support
to the glibc iconv for the encodings it should work.

Hmm. "iconv -l" does list BIG5-HKSCS, BIG5HKSCS, GBK and GB18030. So it
might already work.

/ Alex