Re: Pango information, fonts (was RE: New release of GTK+ libraries (1.3.11))

Edward Cherlin <edward webforhumans com> writes:

> I see that the pango.org pages have not been updated in more than a year.
> Can I assist?

For a while I didn't have access to the machine where pango.org was
updated (and for longer, just didn't have to getting around to
updating it.)

I've now done some minimal updates so at least it doesn't look
the project is dead.

If you are interested in doing some updating of the content, I
would appreciate the assistance. The web site is in GNOME
CVS as the "pango-web" module (http://developer.gnome.org/tools/cvs.html)

If you have changes, you can send me patches against this
module and I'll apply them; if this ends up being to much of a
hassle, I can get you a CVS account.)

> Also, there appears to be a serious lack of fonts. I would like to
> contribute free Unicode OpenType fonts, if I can find out which ones are
> needed.

Well, I think the answer is "all of them" ;-)

More seriously, decent fonts can be obtained for the East
Asian and European languages, but much less so for the languages
of the Middle East, South and South-east Asia.

(There are some TrueType fonts out there for many of these languages,
but they are typically some combination of:

 - Under unclear or no licensing so they aren't redistributable
 - Badly encoded
 - Low quality

With the first being perhaps the biggest problem.)