Re: Japanese Input/Content + English Interface

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001 16:06:10 +0900
Ryan Shaw <ryan silveregg co jp> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a native English speaking and reading person living
> in Japan. I use have to use Japanese on a daily basis but
> I am far more comfortable with English.
>
> Ideally, I can set my applications so that their resources
> (menus, dialogs, messages, etc.) are in English, but I can
> still input Japanese (say when writing Japanese email or
> documents or searching for Japanese words on the web)
> and read Japanese content (Japanese emails, docs, etc.).
>
> Currently this is what I do with Mozilla and Xemacs. But
> I can't figure out how to do it with GTK apps. I can get
> all-Japanese (resources and input/content) or all-English,
> but not the mix I need.
>
> This is an issue because I would like to switch to Sylpheed
> or Evolution for my mail client but I can't until they can do
> what Mozilla mail does: allow me to read and write Japanese
> email while using an English user interface.

You can type japanese in evolution? i ave not been able too, if you could, tell me how you did it.

anyway, change the LC_CTYPE shell variable to ja_JP or something (NOT LC_ALL)
i.e.   env LC_CTYPE=ja_JP sylpheed

or add this line to your .$SHELLrc (.bashrc)
export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP

--
ICQ: 15605359 Bicho
                                  =^..^=