(no subject)

Cc :Vikram <upender vsnl com>
Subject: Re: PANGO : Tamil module patch
From: Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>
Date: 07 Mar 2001 00:13:06 -0500

Vikram <upender vsnl com> writes:

>   Finally made the patch.This patch makes the tamil module  ligature
> info in the X fonts and diff-ed with the CVS version checked out on
> March 6th.This also containes patch for HELLO.utf8(for hello in tamil),
> pangox.aliases(with the new tamil font name),configure.in(for the Xft
> based tamil shaping module).

Just a few comments on these patches:

 - We really should have the LGPL license header in all source
   files. (The Tamil module isn't the only place in Pango

 - I'll repeat my standard statement about coding style and modules:

   While coding style in each module is up to the maintainer
   of that module, I think it would be nice if as many modules
   followed:

     pango/docs/TEXT/coding-style

   To be consistent with the rest of Pango.

I have no comments on the code right now - it looks pretty
straightforward.

> Things that have to go out are :
> fonts/tscakaram.pcf
> modules/tamil/taconv.h
> modules/tamil/taconv.c
>
> New thing to come in
> modules/tamil/tamil-xft.c (attached)
>
> Maybe Robert Brady can put the new tamil fonts into pango-fonts, into
> the indic directory itself(attached)

I think we need a text file describing:

 - Where these fonts come from
 - What the license on them is.

> Still the Xft based shaping engine has in it info about the
> ligatures.I'll have to see if I can manage to put the OpenType tables
> into the font and use the OT functions, just for the fun of it.

Heh, well that's a rather big job to do just for fun :-)
But if you want to look into doing that, that would be great.

If you provide a README file for the fonts and add the LGPL
headers to the source files, I'll go ahead and commit these
patches.

Thanks for the contribution,