localizing testtext.c

Hi,
I was trying to localize testtext using gettext to create a demo for pango indic support.
- marked most of the strings for translation & modified sources as per gettext (ver 0.10.35) docs.
- created proper config files (Makefiles, configure scripts etc)
- compilation & installs fine, application runs
but when i change LANG to desired one (now only es hi) the translated strings dont showup.
I fiddled a lot with all files but still couldn't get it working.
I also tried some other sample application generated through glade (gtk widgets only, compiled with gtk-gtkbeta-1.3.2) with same config stuff, it works.
I have attached the code (just do configure & make)

What am i missing out? or is this problem specific for gtkbeta only?
please help

Thankx in advance

Karunakar